1. Keep your well-earned tax dollars here. When a Highlands student leaves the District to attend outside cyber or charter schools, Highlands is required by law to pay for that student’s tuition.
2. All of our teachers are certified and highly qualified teachers. Not all charter or cyber charter teachers are highly qualified or certified educators.
3. HVA students are a part of a well-established, well-respected and accomplished school system. Most notably, Highlands School District rose to the top in the Overachieving School Districts category in the 2011 Guide to Western PA Schools, the Pittsburgh Business Times annual analysis of the Pennsylvania System of School Assessment (PSSA) Exam results. Highlands School District secured the #3 position.
4. The Highlands Virtual Academy has at-home and on-site capabilities, so the student and parent can choose what works best for them. The program is free! No additional funds are required to take HVA classes
5. You can earn a Highlands School District diploma! And, you can participate in the graduation ceremony.
6. HVA students can pursue their unique talents and/or passions. Often times, a student isn’t able to pursue their talent or passion while at the same time fitting into a traditional classroom setting. HVA allows students to work toward their goals while maintaining connections at their home public school.
7. HVA students can work on their classes when it’s convenient for them since HVA classes are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
8. HVA students have a greater variety of elective classes available to them and can create a more customized schedule.
9. HVA students may participate in band, clubs, sports, or other school-sponsored events.
10. After-school tutoring is available for HVA students to work one-on-one with a certified teacher in English, math, science, and social studies.